Board index Misc. BK History related topics The Avinashi Social club - the movie

The Avinashi Social club - the movie

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:47 pm

Link with BKs: -
One member of this forum (Love) posted a link to the movie: http://vimeo.com/25881018
I thought it would be a good time to hear some feedback from those who took the time to watch it.

Here my comments:
Overall the movie had a way to show us that many things that we take for granted about BK knowledge was in fact an "in progress" understanding.
For those who do not have the time to spend 75 minutes watching the movie, I would recommend the last 25 minutes of it, that is when "Om Rhade" (Mama) gives a presentation of what appears to be and "out of context" knowledge (God being everywhere) to a "black or white" understanding of gyan and being a bit dogmatic about the whole thing... not to mention very devotional in her appreciations. It was the understanding back then.

The last part of it, in my view is quite interesting, because according to the film, "Om Rhade" gives the advice to someone to "get married" and benefit her family. This totally goes against the dogmatic view about marriage as "bad" or "sinful," but it shows the gyani appreciation that everyone has a role to fulfill according to their capacity.

That reminds me the visit we had of a Madhuban Niwasi who is in "gyan" for 50 something years, who mentioned about the value of being single and how he was even engaged and he "renounced" that to be single and engaged in the yagya, in his words; he mentioned that those who married "made a mistake" but "they have to make the best of it." Sheer ignorance (specially if you never had the experience of being married,) once we appreciate that everyone has a different role and that there are no mistakes in a predestined Drama.

Obviously, the movie shows clearly that knowledge, "gyan" gets refined as time goes by and that it is never static. The understanding back then was fully devotional.

I can understand that this movie may not be seen as "good" to be released into the BK community, but as the Drama has it...once in the internet, it belongs to everyone who has a home computer... It is about time to deal with this in a "mature" way.

To me, it just strengthens my convictions about the "true" nature of this knowledge; for it shows that everything is a process, work in progress and that human imagination is very powerful, although not always accurate. It was believed that destruction was going to happen in 1950s (according to the film) due to the II world war... well, it didn't. That wasn't the war chosen in the Drama. There is no need to hide that.

As far as the movie: It would a great mistake to take everything in that movie as "bona fide" truth. I would like to read the documentation backing up that movie myself sometime (maybe someone will post it on the web) and make my own appreciations. The presenter somehow sounded a bit "ironic" for my taste and that diminishes in my view, its value as non-biased. I am not fond of Indian devotional music in the background while other people talk, for it makes it harder to understand what they are saying. Even though I enjoyed the role of "Cindy" the news person, her emotional high pitch voice almost reached the limits of my power of tolerance....too much talk for my taste.. I guess I wanted to see some action... Good film overall. I liked how the different stories were put together to create a sense of continuity and appreciated the different viewpoints regarding the "Om Mandli" and how "controversial" it was back then. The cycle goes from "controversial" into "traditional"...and then it should repeat again... Good acting, good effort... Thanks!
Last edited by avyakt7 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:50 pm
gocool User avatar
Site Admin

Link with BKs: BK
Nice effort...

Few interesting things to notice:

1. the mention of Sevak Ram (would have been better if it was elaborated)
2. the mention of "Prajapati God Brahma" in the initial days which changed to "Prajapita Diety Brahma".

I also understand why Brahma Kumaris as an institution doesnt like it to be made official. For as an organization it's not good to show any one in bad light.
1. The Vaswani speech
2. About Gandhi

I still would like to see a movie which will capture the real old days of the yagya.

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:04 am
bksimonb User avatar
Site Admin

gocool wrote:
I also understand why Brahma Kumaris as an institution doesnt like it to be made official. For as an organization it's not good to show any one in bad light.
1. The Vaswani speech
2. About Gandhi

I understand it in the sense that it is an Indian cultural trait. Certainly, in Western culture, it is seen as highly suspicious for an institution to have a lack of transparency about its past.

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Interesting.. so we see the "Indian" viewpoint and then, the "western" viewpoint... opposite most of the time.
From a purely "historical" viewpoint; however, Brahma Kumaris has followed the practices of any other religious group out there, meaning to cover up those things which may be "controversial" and to almost worship the original "leaders." Nothing new. Same with Christianity. From a purely historical perspective, Jesus was a trouble maker and that is the way he ended up in the cross. From a "Christian religious" viewpoint, Jesus resurrected and the apostles wrote their own versions (which many times don't quite match) about him being the "son of God." etc.

Brahma Baba was an outstanding man in his time but like any other BK, we start out as "simple iron aged human beings" and then we little by little start grasping gyan better by experiencing it in our lives. Of course, we will not find any BK publication where Brahma Baba could be depicted as a simple human being working his way up spiritually speaking. There are many BKs who had experiences with him back then and even now. We can understand that he is "for real" an angel... but those followers, bhakti minded individuals without a deeper grasp of gyan, made the whole thing into a "dogma."

The Dadis were "rebels" at her time. If Dadi Janki feels proud to have escaped her husband to be with "God," you wonder how the society back then viewed that. Also, you wonder if in fact at that early age, Dadi was able to understand God (soul consciousness) or if Brahma Baba became that figure to her, since at the beginning they thought he was God himself.

Same with Mama. If the movie has an accurate description (many like to add their own stuff) basically Mama had blind faith. Period. To defend God as being omnipresent with such faith and conviction and to consider that path to be "the only way" for everyone is a common sign of blind faith; for gyan itself teaches us that everyone comes with a particular capacity for understanding and that everyone has already their own path laid out in destiny. There will be 320 million souls at the end of the silver age, so the rest have their own way of getting where they need to get. This is gyan.

Finally, I see the big shift from being "Indian centered" (This unlimited play is about Bharat) to Brahmin centered, "We are the lucky children of God" to a more open view where the world is considered at once.

This will require a tremendous shift in our understanding and dealing with other people who are not predestined to be BKs but nevertheless can benefit tremendously by this knowledge if we just have the sense to give them what they need. "Taking the pulse," that is.

I see this film as a starting point to break that comfortable "tradition" which even Dadis and original jewels, at the beginning were able to courageously break. Being "controversial" is not such a bad thing after all....

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Check this out... a "free movie" plus an "autographed" picture of BB (Just kidding!) Beats Netflix and their rip off money making scheme...

http://brahmakumarisforum.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=23&p=1446#p1446

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:31 pm

bksimonb wrote:
gocool wrote:
1. The Vaswani speech
2. About Gandhi

I understand it in the sense that it is an Indian cultural trait. Certainly, in Western culture, it is seen as highly suspicious for an institution to have a lack of transparency about its past.

Yes... I agree with both your comments. For me, understanding the journey that Brahma Baba took as he tried to work out what was happening, while he was attempting to gain clarity around the knowledge, as well as making sense of the spiritual experiences he (and everyone else) was having, makes me love and appreciate who he was a human being, even more. Particularly as those around him were deifying him (they did see him as Krishna a lot of the time, after all), but he was convinced 'another power' was working through him. I mean.... what a task! I have such deep respect for the man who - through his own diligence application and thoughtfulness - became completely beautiful.
Today You are You
That is truer than true
There is no-one alive
Who is Youer than You
Dr Seuss

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:35 pm

avyakt7 wrote:
One member of this forum (Love) posted a link to the movie: http://vimeo.com/25881018
I thought it would be a good time to hear some feedback from those who took the time to watch it.

Here my comments:
Overall the movie had a way to show us that many things that we take for granted about BK knowledge was in fact an "in progress" understanding.
For those who do not have the time to spend 75 minutes watching the movie, I would recommend the last 25 minutes of it, that is when "Om Rhade" (Mama) gives a presentation of what appears to be and "out of context" knowledge (God being everywhere) to a "black or white" understanding of gyan and being a bit dogmatic about the whole thing... not to mention very devotional in her appreciations. It was the understanding back then.

The last part of it, in my view is quite interesting, because according to the film, "Om Rhade" gives the advice to someone to "get married" and benefit her family. This totally goes against the dogmatic view about marriage as "bad" or "sinful," but it shows the gyani appreciation that everyone has a role to fulfill according to their capacity.

That reminds me the visit we had of a Madhuban Niwasi who is in "gyan" for 50 something years, who mentioned about the value of being single and how he was even engaged and he "renounced" that to be single and engaged in the yagya, in his words; he mentioned that those who married "made a mistake" but "they have to make the best of it." Sheer ignorance (specially if you never had the experience of being married,) once we appreciate that everyone has a different role and that there are no mistakes in a predestined Drama.

Obviously, the movie shows clearly that knowledge, "gyan" gets refined as time goes by and that it is never static. The understanding back then was fully devotional.

I can understand that this movie may not be seen as "good" to be released into the BK community, but as the Drama has it...once in the internet, it belongs to everyone who has a home computer... It is about time to deal with this in a "mature" way.

To me, it just strengthens my convictions about the "true" nature of this knowledge; for it shows that everything is a process, work in progress and that human imagination is very powerful, although not always accurate. It was believed that destruction was going to happen in 1950s (according to the film) due to the II world war... well, it didn't. That wasn't the war chosen in the Drama. There is no need to hide that.

As far as the movie: It would a great mistake to take everything in that movie as "bona fide" truth. I would like to read the documentation backing up that movie myself sometime (maybe someone will post it on the web) and make my own appreciations. The presenter somehow sounded a bit "ironic" for my taste and that diminishes in my view, its value as non-biased. I am not fond of Indian devotional music in the background while other people talk, for it makes it harder to understand what they are saying. Even though I enjoyed the role of "Cindy" the news person, her emotional high pitch voice almost reached the limits of my power of tolerance....too much talk for my taste.. I guess I wanted to see some action... Good film overall. I liked how the different stories were put together to create a sense of continuity and appreciated the different viewpoints regarding the "Om Mandli" and how "controversial" it was back then. The cycle goes from "controversial" into "traditional"...and then it should repeat again... Good acting, good effort... Thanks!

I'd be happy to upload the documents (and other academic papers etc) but I don't know how!
Today You are You
That is truer than true
There is no-one alive
Who is Youer than You
Dr Seuss

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:44 pm

Just send them my way via email (avyakt7-AT-yahoo.com .... that is avyakt7 ) and I will upload them in my site... unless BKsimonb and honchos/admins are willing to host the documents in their server... I certainly can't wait to look at them...

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:28 pm
VisionOfSelf User avatar
Site Admin

Love wrote:
I'd be happy to upload the documents (and other academic papers etc) but I don't know how!

Fyi, members can upload files as attachments with their posts :) . Current max file size is 200MB

When you're creating a post you'll see "If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below" [located under the "Preview", "Submit", "Save", "Cancel" buttons]. Click on "Browse" to choose a file from your computer.

Btw, for large files, please try to zip up files before upload to reduce filesize.

Post Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:00 pm

love wrote:

Any more help needed? ;)

If you want to do it yourself just use filezilla -free ftp and upload the files there or you can use your own website and upload the files via ftp into the "public" directory and just send us the link.

Next

Return to BK History related topics