17%
Create new forum
83%

Total votes : 6

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:28 am
bksimonb User avatar
Site Admin

Link with BKs: BK
It can be argued that the Wikipedia coverage of the Brahma Kumaris is more influential than the Brahma Kumaris' own websites. I know for myself that if I am looking up a company or organisation then Wikipedia is usually the first port of call because it is more likely to show the good, the bad and the ugly rather than just the "good" side as the corporate website would. I also find some corporate websites slow, heavy and difficult to navigate and find out what I want and Wikipedia just gets straight to the "facts".

In terms of numbers, the Wikipedia article about the BKWSU attracts 300-400 page views a day and 9800 over the last month.

That doesn't included related articles. For example the article on Dada Lekraj attracts a further 1220 page views in the last 30 days.

As most of you are probably aware, the article is currently dominated by Ex-L of the bkinfo website. The result is a predictable mirror of his own point of view which is a somewhat derisive view of the Brahma Kumaris and an advert for his own website.

The reason for things staying like this is simple: a lack of interest from other editors in the article allows him to hide in plain sight. There is no way he would be able to dominate and bias an article on Wikipedia in this way if there are other Wikipedia editors active on the article page since he has never been able to cooperate with other editors and has already been "indefinitely blocked" because of this.

My proposal is to create a forum to focus entirely on the Wikipedia coverage of the Brahma Kumaris. I intend to increase awareness amongst those who may be interested in the BK and related articles and share my experience of Wikipedia so that any one interested in editing Wikipedia can do so constructively and engage with the wider Wikipedia community.

When I was active on Wikipedia my aim was for a balanced, neutral article that reflected what the majority of the most reliable sources say about the BK in the proportion to which they said it. The best way to do this is to encourage other editors on Wikipedia to take an interest in the article since they are least likely to harbour any strong bias either for or against the BK.

Please let me know what you think of this proposal. Should we create a new forum at this stage or should I just put everything into one thread on an existing forum? Poll attached.

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:31 am

Do you want to create a sub-forum here, or a completely different website?

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:45 am
bksimonb User avatar
Site Admin

I am proposing a sub forum. Maybe "Wikipedia" under the "Misc" section.

It will be for discussing the nature and extent of BK portrayal on Wikipedia and how to address it.

Example posts:
This edit was made to an article today and it is biased because...
How do I get involved without getting burnt?
Critique of the article as of this date

It's not just a brain-dump from me. The idea is for forum members to become interested and start commenting on the pervasive carnage that is happening to the BK portrayal on Wikipedia.

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:53 am

Wonderful idea, why not? I vote for it.

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:22 am
bksimonb User avatar
Site Admin

Voted 4:1. I have created the forum.

Return to Running of forum